I’ve agonised for some time over asking this question, but if somebody asked you “Who is this Leslie Popham guy?”, could you answer them?
And if you could, what would you say?
I have nearly 9,000 first level connections on LinkedIn, and I talk to many of them on a regular basis, so some of you must have an opinion.
Before you hit me with some sarcasm – ‘He’s a dick’, ‘Don’t listen to him’, etc, I’m going to save you the trouble.
I’m not looking for ego fodder here – I know who I am, and I’m comfortable in my own skin, but the reason I ask the question is how do I come across to you folks?
Am I giving a poor or misleading picture of myself?
I’ll give you a synopsis of who I think I am, for comparison purposes.
1) I like a laugh. I have a typically British sense of humour.
2) I’m a geophysicist, retired now after 40+ years in oil & gas exploration. (With some success, I might add).
3) I’m happily married, with two grown-up daughters and two (mostly adorable) grandchildren. I live in Sheringham, in the East of England.
4) I’m a Correct English freak, and I’m a Detective Inspector in the LinkedIn Grammer Police. (See what I did there?). I report to Dave Harland, Sara Rosinsky and Susan Rooks. They are hard to please, but they pay well.
5) I’m a passionate climate denier. Our climate is dictated by solar activity and other completely natural processes over which we have no control. Human activity has a miniscule effect, and anybody who believes otherwise is deluding themselves, particularly those who claim that human-caused CO2 emissions are harmful to the planet and must therefore be curbed.
6) I’m an elderly chap who remembers The Two Ronnies and Monty Python. My favourite film of all time is Life of Brian.
7) Even in my dotage, I love pop music. I grew up in the era of The Beatles & Rolling Stones. I’m an avid Bob Dylan fan, but I also love Blondie, Enya, Chris Rea, Dire Straits and particularly Pink Floyd. Oops, forgot to mention Blood Sweat & Tears and Creedence Clearwater Revival. And Tina Turner.
8) Finally, I run an online publishing company that helps internet marketers, and gives me the income to finish ticking my boxes.
Not what you thought? I’d love to know why.
I was going to point you at my company’s website, but if you’re reading this, you must already be there!
However, there’s a lot more to my website apart from this blog – have a (completely free) browse through the internet marketing skills training you can get from me. If you have your own business, we should talk.
Until next week, my friends, my very best wishes to you and yours.
You can find me at https://regispublishing.co.uk